Are you traveling from SFO to Mumbai soon? If yes, then you are in for one heck of a ride. Mumbai is a large metropolis located on the West Coast of India. This coastal city is home to the biggest film industry in the world and also the biggest slum in Asia. If anything, Mumbai is a city of contrasts. When you take a SFO to Mumbai flight, be prepared for a cultural shock. The city houses a considerable population, and the crowds are overwhelming at times. But, regardless of everything, Mumbai is sure to offer a vast array of experiences to anyone who visits.
Popularly known as the City of Dreams, Mumbai holds the key to a great life for many. People from all over the country and even the world come here to try their luck. This makes Mumbai a cultural melting pot where you can explore a multitude of cultures in the same place. The warm and welcoming people of the city will make your SFO to Mumbai trip even more enjoyable. Whether you spend a day here or a month, you will never run out of things to do in Mumbai. To make your trip even better, here is a list of dos and don’ts that you need. Keeping these points in mind will allow you to have a great time.
- Negotiation is the key: Whether you are shopping for souvenirs or taking a rickshaw, negotiating with the shopkeepers and drivers is very important. If you are a foreigner then the art of bargaining will prove to be of much help for you. Always make sure that you negotiate whatever prices you are offered. Doing so will save you from paying shopkeepers and vendors more than you actually need to.
- Explore the food scene: Mumbai has a delectable food scene. The city is teeming with popular eateries and chic cafes that you need to try out. With a number of cuisines to choose from and even more restaurants, you can eat at a new place every day here. The flavors of India can be tasted in all the dishes here. Anyone visiting Mumbai needs to explore the food scene of the city. The street food in Mumbai is extremely popular, and you need to try vada pav here at least once.
- Dive deeper into history: Mumbai has an eternity to offer when it comes to history. The city has seen everything from ancient civilizations to the British Raj in India. That means that there is much to be discovered here. So, if you are interested in history, Mumbai is the city for you.
- Put on sunscreen: The heat of Mumbai is no joke. When it comes to summers, this coastal city surely has sweltering weather. If you are not used to extreme summers, then you need to make sure that you put on sunscreen each time you go out. Sunscreen will prove to be your best friend on your trip to Mumbai.
- Carry a water bottle: Carrying a water bottle with you is always recommended, no matter where you are. However, this is even more important when you are in Mumbai. Given the hot climate and not so clean tap water, carrying clean bottled water will ensure that you are always hydrated. So, if you don’t want to be sick, either due to the heat or unclean water, carry a bottle on your person at all times.
- Avoid dodgy areas at night: Nightlife in Mumbai is something you need to experience when you take flights to India. But, you also need to be quite careful at the same time. Even though Mumbai is a relatively safe city, being on your guard and avoiding shady places at night is always a good idea to stay safe.
- Avoid monsoons in Mumbai: Monsoons in Mumbai are not something you would like to witness, especially when you are looking to explore the city. The monsoon season here can be quite brutal, and avoiding Mumbai at this time is recommended. Floods are quite common at this time of the year, and that can make it quite difficult for tourists to look around.
- Watch what you eat: Food in Mumbai is mouth-watering. But, foreigners need to be wary of the hygiene of the eateries. Although trying the street food in the city is recommended, make sure that the place where you choose to eat is clean. Eating at the wrong place can guarantee a trip to the hospital within minutes. No one wants to look around a hospital on holiday. So, being careful will keep you safe.
- Do not lose sight of your stuff: As the city has a large population, there is a high chance that you will come across pickpockets in crowded areas. That is why it is imperative that you remain aware of your surroundings and your luggage at all times. Do not lose sight of your bag for even a second. Taking your eyes away for a moment can cost you quite a bit in the long run.
- Do not travel in trains unless necessary: This is more like a word of caution for adventurous travelers taking flights to India. Mumbai has a vast local train system. These trains are the veins of the city that connect faraway places. However, if you are in the city for a holiday, steering clear of the local trains will serve you well. The overcrowded and chaotic local trains are not for those without any experience with the local transportation system. So, for your own convenience, stick to taxis, auto-rickshaws, or buses at the most.
With this list of Do’s and Don’ts, you are all set to take the city by storm. Mumbai will prove to be the perfect holiday destination when you book your flights to India. With its rich historical and cultural background, there will be no dull moment in the city. And, keeping these do’s and don’ts in your mind will help you in navigating your way around Mumbai with relative ease. So, get ready to board your SFO to Mumbai flight for a superb holiday.